Friday, January 8, 2010

Lots of Rambling


Chris is in New Orleans having a guys' weekend with a college buddy. He deserves it. I hope he makes it a regular thing. Not because we don't miss him when he's gone (believe me- WE DO) but because I think it's good for him. And then mommy can have her turn when the baby is weaned:)

Last night we made snow ice cream. Poppy enjoyed mixing it all by herself. I need to stop being so concerned about her making a mess and let her do more. I'm getting better. I let her pour her own cereal in the morning and she "helps" me with the milk. At her preschool the kids pour their own milk from a little pitcher. I like that. Maybe I'll fill a little cream container and let her use that at home. I love the whole Montessori philosophy and I could stand to implement it more in our daily routine.

Tonight we're having a pizza party. I'm making this dough (without the thyme and pepper flakes) and I'll let Poppy top her own little pizza. I'm guessing she'll go with extra cheese only. I think I might stop by Whole Foods for some veggie pepperoni. They do actually have some good substitutes for pepperoni. Bacon? Not so much.

I told her she could sleep with me tonight. She asks if she can sleep with us EVERY night so I think when daddy's away it won't hurt. I told her she could have a snack in bed, too. I can see the smile on her face now. I wish she were able to watch a movie. It would be fun but she's not quite there yet- she loses interest after about five minutes. She'll probably end up watching Mister Rogers while I "do some work" (read blogs, facebook, check e-mail, edit photos) on the computer.

Saturday we have a music class in the afternoon which is perfect because that is the hardest time of the day for me. It will give us a reason to get dressed and out of the house. And then Daddy comes home Sunday!

I forgot to mention that later today I'm going to a gym to get a family membership. I guess it's sort of a New Year's resolution (even though I don't really believe in those- any day is a good day to resolve to change something) but more than anything the timing is simply a result of finally getting around to it after the busy holidays/school break. Plus, we're planning to have Poppy take swimming lessons there and they start Monday.

This is my new screen saver:




I'm having a very challenging time with her right now so I try to soak in this picture when I can. I forget that she's only three. I get caught up in the whole "big girl" thing but really she's just a baby. I need to remember that.


You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.
-Franklin P. Jones

Ain't that the truth.

A characteristic of the normal child is that he doesn't act that way very often.
-Author Unknown

Phewww. I think she's normal.

The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
-Joe Houldsworth

And patience. I would steal some of that if I could find some:)



2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love those quotes (and that picture is too perfect...thank God they sleep) :)

Stephanie said...

Hi Holly! I hope all is well and you're just taking a blogging break. :)