Wednesday, June 24, 2009

CSA


We have been looking forward to joining a CSA for well over one year now. We missed out last Summer because of the timing of our move from California. Yesterday was our first pick-up day:




We opted for a half share so our pick-ups will be every other week. Our share consisted of:

red leaf lettuce- 1 
green leaf lettuce- 2
scallions- 1
pint of strawberries- 2
broccoli rabe- 1
spinach- 2
swiss chard- 1
cucumbers- 2
basil- 1
tomato plant- 1
 




I thought the long drive and visit to the farm would be a fun activity for me and the little flower. Unfortunately, lately she and I have had little time together, just the two of us. Turns out, trip to the farm? Not such a fun thing. It was HOT, bright, and not the idyllic farm setting I had pictured in my mind. Our visit consisted of pulling up to a nondescript shed, walking inside, and transferring all of our goodies into our bags for the ride home. I'm going to see if I can start picking up our shares at a closer location. We'll save the farm visits for you-pick days.

I had to snap at least one picture while we were there:

 

We came home and had a huge salad for dinner. I've had fun today looking for recipes in which to use all of these new-to-us foods. I made strawberry lemonade today. I would love to make some sort of strawberry muffins/scones but I hate to use my oven when it's so hot out. Looks like I'm going to have to learn how to make jam and quick.

In other news...as part of our long drawn out potty training process, I bought the little flower some cotton training pants. She wanted to wear them as soon as she saw the package:  



One of these days I'm going to put these on instead of diapers, have myself a stiff drink, and hope for the best!




No comments: