Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lifelong Friends


I recently started taping 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' for Little Flower. We sit and watch it together. I told her that I watched Mister Rogers when I was a little girl and she smiled. I found her playing with her shoes one day and I asked what she was doing. 

"I'm putting my shoes on like Mister Rogers", she said. I smiled.

I had forgotten what a sweet show it was. I love everything about it, the shoe thing, the sweater thing (multiple colors hanging just so in the closet), the seventies decor, Mr. McFeely. But mostly, his calm and kind words, such a rarity these days.

He sang this song in an episode we watched yesterday:

You can make believe it happens,
or pretend that something's true
you can wish or hope or contemplate
a thing you'd like to do
but until you start to do it
you will never see it through
'cause the make believe pretending
just won't do it for you

you've got to do it
every little bit
you've got to do it
do it, do it, do it
and when you're through
you can know who did it
for you did it, you did it, you did it.



It was like he was singing just for me:) 


So I'm doing it. I'm posting even though I don't have much to say except, Mister Rogers was a sweet, neat man. It makes me happy to share him with my children. As the Little Flower would say, "I weery, weery like him".


 




*Did you know that Fred Rogers' middle name was McFeely? Or that he was an ordained minister? Or that he testified on behalf of the manufacturers of VCR's in the seventies? You can read more about him here and here. I hope you do:)  




 

1 comment:

Donna Boucher said...

I am delighted that you will be posting more!

I never cry when famous people cry.

I cried when Mr. Rogers died.

His gentle spirit touched me.